Friday, November 11, 2016

Woodland Animal Calendar Magnets/Coasters

Recently, while finding craft goodies in a clearance bin at HM Ben Franklin Crafts, I discovered a really cute set of woodland animal stamps from Inkadinkado.  This set came with some blank coasters (for those of you not old enough to know: Coasters are what you put under sweating drink glasses to protect grandma's nice table).  For some reason coasters seem to disappear in our house, so I thought this would justify purchasing this stamp set.  Also, I am amazed every year at Karen's (Scrap Happy) production of coaster calendars during the holidays but always think she should have a way to recycle her cheerful crafts....they are too good to toss at the year's end.  (I usually stick on a new calendar to her coaster magnets but here is my version of the magnet that can be re-made into a usable coaster.)
After stamping and heat embossing 'thankful' in gold on the coasters, I stamped the leaves and animals.  Then I sprayed Krylon low odor gloss (from HM BFC) to protect the coaster top and to make the calendars easy to remove at the end of the year.  After cutting and adhering 4" circles from an adhesive magnet sheet (from BFC), the coasters (with the addition of Vippies calendars) become calendar magnets!  Okay, my coaster magnets are no way as lovely as Karen's, but grandma would love them for her precious table...yes, she would!
Hint: If you can't find coasters, you can make your own by using the Martha Stewart circle cutter to make 4" circles from watercolor papers and chipboard then gluing them together.

1 comment:

Shirley N said...

Another great idea, Lynn, I need to pick up some calendars too. My shopping list is growing--you are a bad enabler. ;) Your woodland animal coasters are adorable, TFS!