Sunday, August 7, 2016

Under the Sea Pop-Up Card

I love poop-up cards, but I'm not much of a paper engineer so when I saw the Stampendous Build a Pop Up die set selling at HM Ben Franklin Crafts, I immediately bought it.  The die set shows the pop-up used to make a floral card but I decided to make an ocean-themed one since I just purchased sea creature stamps and dies.  The inside and outside of this card began with Distress Ink applied to watercolor paper.  For the card front I stamped a Hero Arts fish background and some seaweeds before adding the die cut seahorses (using foam dots) and the sentiment.
For texture I applied Bo Bunny Glitter Sugar Paste over a Tim Holtz stencil. This look is very appealing to me and can be seen in one of the close up photos. I used the scallop edge die (comes with the Stampendous set) and pop-up die to cut the dyed watercolor paper inside the card. Then it was simple work to tape the images (using Heiko double stick) to the pop-up platforms.  The turtle and jellyfish were enhanced with Crystal Accents and the seaweed/shells were highlighted with Wink of Stella or Scribbles.
This photo shows how lovely the Crystal Accents looks over the images that were colored with Hero Arts ombre inks (nice to have three shades in on one pad).
Several sentiment frames come with the Stampendous die set so that is an extra bonus.  The acrylic dots were sold at BFC awhile ago in the home deor area (not sure if they still have them).  
Here is a side view of the inside of the card which shows the die cut platforms.  This type of pop up card is less thick than those made with foam dots so the card fits better in the envelope.
All of the stamps and dies I used on this card came from either Hero Arts or Avery Elle (sold at BFC). One of the sentiments was from a set not shown.  Sorry for the glare on the Stampendous pop up die set.  I truly enjoyed making this card because it was so easy and the result made me visualize other cards to create in the future.

1 comment:

Shirley N said...

Wow Lynn, this is quite an amazing underwater scene you created. I love your beautiful colors and all the dimension in this card. Just looking at your product list shows how much work was put into making this card. Great job!